April ushers in true spring weather in Louisiana and with it, Earth Day. Since 1970, April 22 has annually served as a reminder to take care of our planet because it means taking care of us. One way to take care of our planet and us is to regularly service and update home appliances that use up a lot of energy.
It is a smart idea to have major appliances like air conditioning systems serviced every spring so they can be ready for the heavy usage a Louisiana summer brings. According to Energy.gov, “Routinely replace or clean your air filters — it can lower your air conditioner’s energy consumption by 5-15 percent.” That same government site features an energy usage calculator to give you an idea how much every type of appliance in your home uses which may give you the idea to upgrade. Smart appliances work wonderfully and have the potential to reduce a home’s monthly utilities cost by hundreds of dollars.
Some other tips for conserving energy in your home include:
- Make sure ceiling fans are switched to rotate in a counterclockwise position in order to push air straight down. Check on the body of the fan for a switch it from a clockwise position in winter to the summer position of counterclockwise.
- Install a programmable thermostat that allows you to monitor your home’s cooling remotely as well as automatically.
- Upgrade to an Energy Star-qualified air conditioning unit. Depending on the size and model they are up to 15% more efficient than traditional models.
- – Hang sun-blocking draperies on south-facing windows to reduce its heating effects. This will allow you to run the A/C at more moderate temperatures.
- Do regular checks on weatherstripping and caulking around windows and doorways. Cool air can leak out quickly causing your home to heat and your energy bill to go up.
- If you have a fireplace make sure the damper stays shut. If you don’t use the fireplace at all consider closing it up permanently altogether. Having an open flue is the same as an open window, driving up A/C running costs as the heat rushes in.If you have any questions about how you and your family can stay cool this summer, give AC Sales a call. Conserving energy is conserving money, something every home deserves and AC Sales wants to make sure that happens for you.